Friday, October 7, 2011

We are finally settling in to our new home. All of the boxes are unpacked except for the ones hidden in closets and in the basement. I still have not ventured down to the basement. I told my husband that I have made it my life's work to never go down there. e thinks I need to to learn where things like water shut offs and things like that are. But I think I'll be fine.

Now that the main work of moving is over with I am beginning to think about my garden. It has been years since I have had a place to grow more that just a couple of pots so I am really excited about beginning this process. I want to do a few raised garden beds. I know I want one with herbs in it. I'm just not sure which herbs yet. I want another with a few plants like tomatoes and cucumbers and maybe some beans or something like that. I want to make a small area, maybe a tire or something like that for mint and maybe lemon balm. I know that those two things could take over the whole yard if I'm not careful. That's why I want to confine them. There is an area in the front of the house that has been used as a flower bed. There is also an area down the side of the house next to the driveway that has been used as flower beds. I don't have any idea what to plant there. I want something that looks nice throughout the growing season. I don't want plants that look nice for a couple of weeks and then the flowers die and the plant fades away. I'm planning on spending a lot of time this winter going over garden sites and such to get ideas. I am hoping that some of my faithful readers will also add suggestions to the comments for this blog. I'm really looking forward to posting pictures next summer of my gardens. I want my husband to plan out exactly where in the yard he wants to put his garage. Then I will be able to plan play space for our son and garden space for me. I'm sure I will be putting some potted plants around the deck as well.

It is so exciting to be able to plan for what I want to do next summer. I'm sure it will be a lot more work than I am used to but I can't wait to get started.

I think I'm going to go make some candles today. I haven't been able to make candles since we started this whole house hunting thing. My craft supplies were among the first things to get packed up. I got some yummy holiday and winter scents in the mail the other day. I think I'll make some Santa's Whiskers and maybe some Rendeer Poo. Okay, enough chatting for today. I'm off to stir the wax pot.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you are in and settled.

    It sounds like you are going to have a fabulous garden, this black thumb person can give you nothing but admiration, and that i give freely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how green my thumb is. But I'm excited about digging in the dirt. I really want my son to develop and appreciation for herbs and what they can be used for.

    Thanks for responding to every post. Sometimes you are the only person who responds. I just want you to know how grateful I am for that.

    Kathi

    ReplyDelete