Thursday, March 31, 2011

How often have you heard the statement that all homeschoolers are fundamentalist Christians? This statement overlooks the vast numbers of people who homeschool for so many different reasons. I personally know Muslim homeschoolers and Jewish homeschoolers and even pagan homeschoolers. Even though there are many many homeschoolers who are not Christian it still becomes difficult to find a secular curriculum. Even though you may find a curriculum that does not focus on the Bible, it will still probably include such holidays as Easter and Christmas. I have not found a curriculum anywhere that includes a discussion of Hanukkah or Ramadan. Or something like the Summer Solstice or Yule. I would love to find a good well rounded curriculum that includes a discussion of these holidays and religious traditions as well as the Christian ones we all have learned about. We are going to check out Chester Comix as a start for secular US history.

There are so many great books out there. Chester Comix is just one of the many I have come across. Sometimes it's difficult to tell from the brief description on Amazon or even a longer description in a blog article. I know more than once I have bought a great sounding book only to find when it arrived that it was full of religious content that I did not want to read to my son. Fortunately now there are a number of blogs out there that do homeschool book reviews. A great one is http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/. There are many others that you can find online as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment