Friday, June 12, 2009

Well, the last few weeks have been quite a ride. I don't think I've ever been on such an emotional up and down. At least not since we survived adoption hell.

In April I was diagnosed as possibly having uterine cancer. They weren't sure. Non of the tests were coming back conclusive but it was looking more and more that way. As I was bounced from one doctor to another, I began to have a lot of doubts. The first doctor said he didn't think it was cancer but wanted me to see an oncologist just to be safe. The second doctor said it was cancer. He said I needed immediate surgery but he wouldn't do it. Finally I was sent to another doctor who said it probably was cancer and he scheduled surgery for June 1. I got to tell you I was not looking forward to major surgery. Over the next couple of weeks I had cat scans and heart scans and pulmonary function test and numerous viles of blood drawn for various tests. I even had a sleep study where they tried to determine if I had sleep apnea. It seemed like I was spending ever single day at one medical office of another. For someone who hates all doctors, that was really hard. Finally the day came for the surgery. We got to the hospital and waited and waited. Finally they came in and told us they were cleaning the room and we would be going in soon. They wheeled me in to the operating room right at noon. I was able to see this wonderful device called the Da Vinci Robot. Every one was fussing over me and chatting to me. The next thing I know I see a clock that says 6:30. It took about 30 minutes before I could really focus. The doctor came in around 7:30 and told me that I had carcinosarcoma. But the good news was they got it all. But by then I was feeling pretty good. I was able to sit up and chat with the nurses. There was an older lady in the bed next to me that was really making them work for their pay that night. She complained and everything and refused anything they tried to do for her. Eventually they said as soon as my blood work comes back I would be moved to a room. Then they said there was no room for me. They let my husband come into the recovery room and they moved me down to the end of the room away from the complainer. Finally at 10:00 that night they had a room available and I was moved upstairs.

It was a very long night. I guess because I slept all day I was wide awake almost all night. Finally morning came and the tubes starting being removed. I was up and walking around the room by 10:00am. I couldn't believe how good I felt. Yes, my stomach was sore but nothing like what I had heard other people talk about. By 7:00 that night I was home.

I hope none of you ever have to face this in your life. I hope you all are safe happy and cancer free. But I got to tell you. If you ever have to have this kind of surgery, find a doctor who uses the Da Vinci. Instead of being cut from one end to the other, I have five tiny incisions. The biggest one is barely an inch long. Today is 12 days since the surgery and I'm off to the park soon. I cant believe how good I feel. Gee I keep saying that.

Life can be scarey at times. Im sure there will be lots more ups and downs in this life. But for now, I am happy and cancer free.

I want to thank all my wonderful friends and family who helped me get through this. So many people took care of Dakota while I went from one appointment to another. He was able to have a sleepover with a friend while I was in the hospital. My husband who sat with me in the hospital long after I know he wanted to be home in bed. Another friend came over to stay with me during the first few days after the surgery. It's been great. I don't think I've ever felt so much love in my life. Especially thank you Dr. Litkouhi and Mr. Da Vinci.

No comments:

Post a Comment