Thursday, September 16, 2010

Literature

I haven't met a homeschooler yet that doesn't like to read. Or a homeschooler child who doesn't like to be read to. Dakota's bookcase so full long before he was born. We have since purchased another bookcase. And it is now full. One thing I really dislike is to purchase a book only to find out that it is not at all what I was expecting. I have given away a few books that just didn't meet my family values. I have also returned books to the store that I just couldn't keep in my homes. I came across a site the other day that will help eliminate this problem. It is a site which reviews homeschool literature. You can look books up by title, or you can look up books by the author, books by grade, even books by homeschoolers. Yes, even books written by homeschoolers.

One of my favorite books by a homeschooler is written by the teen son of a friend of mine. " Terror of Porridge" was written by 14 year old Jack Wooldridge.

This is Jack's description of the story-

Terror of Porridge is a children's story, written when I was eight, that takes the tale of Goldilocks and brings it into the 21st century, turning almost everything on its head. In New York City, something is wreaking havoc in downtown Manhattan, and as in any monster movie, the police are running around in circles trying to stop it. All is chaos, and the city needs a hero. It finds one in the form of a small boy named Harold, who has a plan to stop the rampaging monster. If he doesn't get stomped on first!

Jack says this book is best for children 6 to 10 years old.

As I said, reading is such an important part of our lives, not just as a homeschooling family but as a family who craves knowledge. We love reading books about homeschoolers. Now I know where I can find a good list of them.

What an exciting resource to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment