Friday, November 5, 2010

Homeschoolers and Testing

This is the time of year when a lot of homeschoolers I know are beginning to think about preparing their children for testing. One of the biggest issues for people, I think, is how to prepare for the SAT test. I think writing in general can be a scary thing for a lot of students. While searching around for more information on improving your writing skills, I found a great online writing program. This program teaches kids how to plan their time, how to develop their idea, and how to get it all done in the limited amount of time that they have during the SAT process. Not only do they have a program for preparing for the SAT, but there are writing programs for younger kids as well. Even elementary aged kids can learn grammer, sentence structure, and paragraph writing. It's a great program.

Testing is something that has always scared me. When I was in school I could not function on test days. I'm afraid that fear has passed on to my son. Even the short quizes that he does with Time4Learning throw him. He will do almost anything to avoid them. He will be working along just fine in his lesson. Then a test comes up and the acting out behavior begins. This is just one more reason that I am glad to be homeschooling. In the public schools here testing is required in 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. Even with excellent test prep programs, I don't think he would survive these yearly assessments.

Check out these resources and let me know what you think. I'd love to know how much they help your student take tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment