Friday, February 11, 2011

Having Fun And Learning Too

I was talking to someone the other day about homeschooling. She commented that she could never homeschool because it would be so boring. She sends her kids to school to learn and then when they are at home she can do all the fun things with them. That really got me thinking. Does learning have to be boring? Is it boring? Or can you have fun with your kids while they are learning. I don't know about you, but we like to play lots of games while we are learning. I say we because I find that I learn something new almost every day. Learning does not stop when you graduate from high school or college. So, we play lots of games while we are learning. We like to play third grade vocabulary practice games.

I know some homeschool moms who talk about how hard it is to come up with weekly homeschool lesson plans. Now I think that would be pretty boring. Fortunately the curriculum that we use has the lesson plans all spelled out for you. There really is no advance planning that I need to do. We just go online and do the next lesson that comes up. Sometimes we skip around with the lesson plan. Right now we are not doing the multiplication but have skipped on to other areas of math. We'll come back to it when Dakota is more ready to look at it.

I don't think learning should be boring. It should not be boring for the teacher or for the student. What things are you doing this week to keep your learning fun and exciting?

2 comments:

  1. I love what you are doing for your son! He will get a better education through homeschool than any where! Kudos to you!
    I followed you , please visit my blog and enter some giveaways and follow me back!
    Thanks, http://mimilovesall8.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this week we are going to hear the St. Louis Symphony with a group of 34. The Symphony does educational concerts in the fall and winter. This one is excerpts from the ballet Romeo and Juliet, and the musical West Side Story. In order to prepare, a group (17) of us gathered at my house today to eat popcorn and cookies, drink soda, and watch the movie version of West Side Story. We actually had fun! And I get to log it! This week we are also going to hit Powder Valley Nature Reserve (after the symphony).

    To make things fun regularly I try to make time for art, lots of outings, and if everyone is good we will do Mad Libs. I can't believe how much they like those!

    ReplyDelete