Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Reading, Writing, and Well You Know The Rest


It's time to be thinking about school again. We actually started back to the books today for the first time since the end of June. In preparation for school to start, I have been searching the web looking for cool things to add to our studies. The other day I found a really cool lego lapbook program. A few other moms and I are going to meet together to use this with our kids as a group. I'm really excited about. Today I came across a monthly Lego Challenge. Every month they offer a new challenge then they post pictures of the things the kids have made. Dakota is going to love this one. I found another site that has books about homeschooling families. It's great to be able to look at the site and read reviews about the book before you buy it. I hate when I spend money for a book and it isn't anything like I thought it would be. This site has great reviews.

Speaking of books about homeschoolers. How about a book by a homeschooler? Terror of Porridge was written by homeschooler Jack Wooldridge when he was only 8 years old. He is now 14 and has just had the book published. According to Jack, this book takes Goldilocks and brings her into the 21st century. I can't wait to read the book. He is currently working on a video game to go with the book. When I first met Jack he was about 10 years old. He was acting and directing plays through a local church group. He was a great kid then and he still is now. I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more from Jack in the future.

One of the things we are adding to our curriculum this year is spelling. I found great spelling lists online that we will be using this year. The lists on these pages are based on literature. They even have books listed with matching vocabulary lists.

Books, reading, spelling lists, math, science, the next few months will be busy for us as I am sure they will be for you. But it's going to be a fun new challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment