Saturday, October 30, 2010

Happy Halloween


Earlier this week I realized how fast Halloween has snuck up on me. I was thinking I had lots of time to hit a pumpkin patch and things like that. Suddenly I was in a panic when I realized that Halloween is on Sunday. So Dakota and I stopped by a pumpkin patch on our way home the other day. The pumpkin patch had a tiny little haunted house. It wasn't even as big as my living room. There was a heavy black blanket hanging over both entrances. Dakota decided he wanted to go inside. He slowly walked up to the door. Just then something inside make a noise. Dakota ran in the opposite direction screaming. I told him there was nothing inside that could hurt him. But he was not going back inside. There was a witch by the door of the haunted house. I told him to go stand by the witch so I could take his picture. He didn't want to get close to her, but he finally walked a little closer. He didn't realize how close he was to the door of the haunted house. Just then a big wind blew through. The blanket on the door blew open and brushed his leg. Well, yap, he ran screaming again. He kept saying "You go Mommy." Now I have never liked haunted houses, but I wanted to show him that it was not scarey so I walked inside. There was a stuffed figure on one side and a couple of other characters on the other side. Nothing big, just a few flashing lights and a little noise. When I came out I tried to talk Dakota into going in. But he wasn't having any part of it. He did finally pull the curtain back a bit and peek in. But he would not set foot in the place.

They were having a contest to see who could guess the weight of a big pumpkin. Dakota said 10 pounds. The guy went and got a pumpkin that he knew weighed 50 pounds and sat it next to the pumpkin Dakota was guessing. When he saw the two together, he decided that big one was 120 pounds. The winner gets the pumpkin. Personally I hope we do not win. I have no idea what I would do with a pumpkin that big. Dakota finally picked out a 13 pound pumpkin and two small ones. Last night Dakota and Daddy carved the pumpkin. I noticed today that a squirrel had pumpkin for lunch. I chased him away a couple of times. But a large chunk of the face is missing.

Our homeschool group's Trunk or Treating was yesterday. All of the kids came in costume. They wrapped each other up in toilet paper to create mummies. Then they had a relay race carrying marshmellows in big spoons. They played a few more games, then ran off to play. The moms got to sit and talk for a long time. It was so cold, I just wanted to go home. I think a great time was had by all.

1 comment: