Saturday, October 30, 2010

Happy Homeschooling

School has been in session for a couple of months now. I was wondering how folks are doing. I was at several homeschool events this week. And over and over again I kept hearing, "How do I get started?" It seems that there are a lot of people who have not quite got started on this school year. They're still questioning what curriculum to use, do they even need a curriculum, what should they do first. One of the things I like to point people toward is an online resource for getting started. I think you can find the answers to so many of the questions we all had in the beginning by checking out resources like this. Sometimes you just don't want to ask the questions of another homeschooler. Sometimes you think you SHOULD already know the answer. But how could you? If this is your first time homeschooling or even if it's your first time homeschooling a fourth grader, it's normal to have questions.

I think one of the first things you need to do is to get really familiar with your state laws. Find other homeschoolers in your state. Find online and in real life support groups. All of this information can be found on the New Jersey Homeschooling Information Page.

The next thing you need to do is take a few deep breaths. If your children have been in school, take some time for deschooling for both your sake and your children's. You have to break away from the mindset that school happens Monday through Friday form 9 to 3. There is no reason why school can't happen on Saturday evening or Sunday morning. Learning happens when you or your children make it happen.

Finally, get out and enjoy this new process. Enjoy doing things on your schedule and not on the schedule of the school system. Go to the park, the museum, the historical landmarks. Relax and Enjoy. And Happy Homeschooling.

2 comments:

  1. May I add to your excellent suggestions joining the HSLDA? They have great resources, and help defend homeschoolers rights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathi! I've enjoyed reading your blog. My boys would have been so scared at that haunted house!!

    School wise...the more we get into it, the more laid back I'm learning to be. I always start out thinking that curriculum/schedules are the way to go..and then slowly throw it all out the window :) Of course, I have days where I worry that we are not doing enough...yadda yadda...but for the most part, things are good.

    ReplyDelete